Monday, May 14, 2007

Clueless Wheels

"What are 'wheelies'?" my grandmother asked me. Ok, so why was my grandmother asking me about such things? Ah . . . where to begin.

It was a beautiful Mother's Day, and I was out for dinner at a popular restaurant with my family. The place was extremely busy that evening. There was an hour wait, just to be seated! The wait-staff was hustling and bustling at a quick pace to serve everyone. There was a booth of people behind me with 3 or 4 kids. That family was allowing their kids to pop in and out of the booth to
run to the bathroom (or wherever), multiple times... indiscriminately, it seemed. They were never watching where they were going . . . just dashing in and out, without looking. It was a bit annoying, but what are ya gonna do in a public place? You generally just grin and bear it as best as you can. Two of their kids had those "wheelies" shoes with the wheels in the soles. I'm not totally sure how they work, but somehow the wearer can either walk in them like regular shoes, or they can choose to engage the little wheels in them and roll, like roller skates. They seem kind of cool, but not for everywhere!

It has been a topic in our local news lately, how several local business owners and store managers have recently banned wheelies from their places of business. Much to my astonishment, I have even heard a few people squawking about how unfair that is. But these kids are frequently not watching where they are going. They seem unaware of their impact on those around them. And it seems, these kids are not being taught that there is a time and place for things, and crowded places are NOT the place to use wheelies! The story I'm about to relate to you, is a
perfect example of why they are being banned!

My family and I were sitting in the booth, just finishing our meals. We were chatting, as best we could in a noisy, bustling restaurant. I was looking around periodically. I saw one of the kids (I'm guessing he was about 9 or 10 years old) from the booth behind me, coming back down the corridor, from the direction of the restrooms . . . again. It was about his 3rd trip. He was solo, unaccompanied by parent or adult. Suddenly, he picked up just a little bit of speed and engaged his wheelies. He rolled right in front of a hurried waiter who was carrying a tray of plates with steaming-hot food. I gasped and held my breath for a moment, as if that might stop time and avert catastrophe! The quick-thinking waiter stopped short, on tiptoe . . . trying not to lunge forward with the momentum of his movements. For a half second, I thought the tray loaded with plates and food were going to keep going forward and land on people, then crash to the floor. Much to the waiter's credit, he slightly tipped the tray backwards, and then quickly leveled it again. It was an amazing feat to witness! The plates and food miraculously stayed on the tray, while the mindless child blithely rolled by, completely unaware that he had nearly cause a disaster for several people. "Hey, cool it on the wheelies!" I chastised him as he rolled past our table to his family's booth behind me. He gave me a sideways glance, but wouldn't look at me directly . . . as if my laser stare might singe him.

A couple of minutes later, that waiter stopped by our table. He smiled and said, "Oh don't we hate those wheelies?"

I said, "Oh Yes, and parents who allow them free reign on them in public places without teaching them to be responsible are also a menace. But you were so graceful!"

He chuckled. "Thanks."

"You know," I said, "A lot of businesses are banning the use of those things in their stores. The wheels are supposed to pop out... they just make the kids pop the wheels out if they want to come in. You should tell your manage to consider that."

The waiter's eyes lit up as he smiled again, "Hey . . . Yeah! That's a great idea! I'll tell him. That was just too close a call. Thanks for saying something to that kid."

He wished us a Happy Mother's Day, and he went about his job.

That's when my grandmother asked, "What was that all about?" I told her of the drama that had just unfolded behind her . . . the kid on the wheelies had rolled right in front of the waiter and almost caused the waiter to loose a tray of food. That's when she asked me what wheelies were. I described them as much as possible to an 87 year old lady. I related to her what I had told the waiter about businesses in town banning the wheelies. Then she said, "Good. And so you told that little boy to 'cool it,' right?" I confirmed that I had. She chuckled. "That's my girl!" she boosted, with a smile. You see, women in my family are typically not shy about expressing our views. Someday, perhaps I'll tell you about the time my mom bumped a low-rider in front of her, because he sat through three traffic light cycles. Like I said, not terribly shy!

I'm sure that stupid kid didn't learn anything. I doubt he ever even knew what a problem he caused. And since his parents were probably not paying any attention to what he was doing, most likely nothing was said to him, other than what I hissed at him. I swear! Sometimes I think people should have to have to pass a test to obtain a license before they are allowed to have kids! But don't get me started on that today!!

So now, my grandmother knows what "wheelies" are, not that she ever really wanted to know. And I'm sure the controversy about them will continue to heat up. I just wish that people would teach their kids to take responsibility for their thoughts, deeds, and actions . . . and to realize those actions have consequences and frequently affect other people. But then, when many of the parents have apparently not learned to take responsibility for their own thoughts, deeds, and actions . . . there is the rub. I wonder how far the pendulum will have to swing before our society gets back to what use to be known as "common sense."

What? "Other than that, how was Mother's Day," you ask?
Oh, actually pretty good. It was a beautiful day here in Albuquerque. I gardened in my back yard most of the day. Then it was great to have dinner with my mom & step-dad, my dad & step-mom, and my grandmother. We had fun.
Oh, and I got a live lizard for Mother's Day. One of my cats proudly brought it to me, while we were out in the yard. He seemed to be beaming over his thoughtfulness, and his prowess as a hunter. My little hunter. Last year, it was a live bird that he brought to me in my bedroom . . . and let it loose. What a sweet, thoughtful kitty!

That's all for today.
~Paulena

1 comment:

Patricia Smith Wood said...

You told the story very well and with humor. I so agree with you about the rowdy children we witnessed there yesterday. It was almost epidemic.